Amy Schilling Photography Blog

November 21, 2010

the two p's

Day Twenty-One: I'm thankful for my grandfathers.

Today I ate a cinnamon raisin bagel and it reminded me of my two grandfathers. I had a Papaw and a Poppaw. When we'd go visit my Mamaw & Papaw or they would come visit us, my Papaw always made me fresh cinnamon raisin bread. And my Poppaw kept my freezer stocked all through college with cinnamon raisin bagels. I'd go see him on my way back to school and he'd fill a bag with packages of bagels. It's funny really, because cinnamon raisin whatever is just okay to me, I mean it's good but I don't love it. I'm not sure how or why either of them came to associate me with a love of cinnamon raisin but I gladly accepted their carb-filled gifts because it was absolutely done with a love for me and was so thoughtful. For a long time after they'd passed away I didn't eat cinnamon raisin bread or bagels, just made me kind of sad. But last night we picked up some bagels at the grocery store and today they're both on my mind.

I'm so glad they were a part of my life as long as they were, sometimes I really miss them. They were so different, yet very similar. I'm thankful they stayed married to my grandmothers, took care of their families, and loved their grandchildren. So many memories brought about by a bagel!

And speaking of memories...this is probably one of the last pictures I have with my Poppaw at our wedding in 2004. He passed away the following year. My Papaw wasn't able to make it but we went by the house afterward and someone took our picture with a disposable camera. He passed away a week later.

112101

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...