Amy Schilling Photography Blog

May 31, 2010

the honey moon i wish i hadn't taken

Hello, my name is Amy and I enjoy romantic fiction. I get quite a bit of flack for this but I blame my mom. She showed me her old Harlequins from the late 60s and 70s when I was a freshman in college and my life has never been the same.

I like a happy ending, and actually I'll just go ahead and say I like a happy beginning and middle too. Oh sure, I like a drama every now and then, but when I head to the romance section of my local library or book store, I'm not looking for Wuthering Heights. As in, classic literary romances need not apply.

Some months ago I picked up the latest book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. And it was cute and fun and I then checked out all of her books that the library had - three at a time because I was just going through them so fast! And yes, some of them had familial conflicts and drama, but make no mistake here, THEY WERE LIGHT READS.

So on a recent trip to Barnes & Noble, I picked up a couple of SEP books and was only slightly apprehensive as I read the reviews on Amazon on the way home (Deran was driving!). So I got Honey Moon, and yeah I know it sounds ridiculous. Anyway, I finished it today and BOO. Two thumbs down from me. It was kind of creepy and incestuous (really, there was molestation) and depressing (there was death!) and so I'm not sure if SEP was trying something new when she wrote this book all those years ago, but I did not like it. I was expecting something in the same vein as Match Me If You Can or What I Did For Love. Silly, I know. But I like my chick lit to be lighthearted dadgummit!

Regular happy baby photos and posts to resume tomorrow. Happy Memorial Day and thanks to all of our soldiers past and present!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...