Amy Schilling Photography Blog

October 15, 2010

on the night she was born

First, let me start off by explaining about a little misunderstanding. Deran's co-workers gave us a wonderful baby shower. Really nice gifts, wishes, and company - it was such a great experience. But while opening presents, I pulled out a book and well, I was a little shocked.

10101
*photo courtesy of D's co-workers...so sorry I can't remember specifics!*

I saw the bears together on the front and for whatever reason I read it as, "On the Night You Were Conceived." It was actually this book. Just a little off. So in that picture I'm a little wide-eyed like, "Oh! How nice!" Awkward. And Deran is just smiling because he had no idea what was going on and smiling is best. I made him wear that pink shirt.

It wasn't until months, yes months, later that I pulled the book off the shelf and realized my mistake. The polar bears are just dancing! Anyway, it's been a favorite ever since. It's such a delightful story about the miracle of arriving in this world and being uniquely you and so loved.

Yesterday Avery & I looked through her photo albums, pointing out family members and trying to copy what the baby (Avery) in each picture was doing. She always gets this one framed photo of her in her room, it has a two week old crying Avery. She has a really hilarious "sad baby" face. It's only a squinched nose away from the "happy baby" face. Anyway, the photos made me think back to those first days so I read "On the Night You Were Born" to her again. And I really can't finish that book without getting teary!

I took this picture of her playing peek-a-boo one early morning last week...before she slammed her face into the back of the couch...and before she climbed/fell out of her crib. So what I'm really trying to say is, I took this photo before all the facial bruising!

101401

"Heaven blew every trumpet
and played every horn
on the wonderful, marvelous
night you were born."

It did, it really did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...